Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Hair Regimen

I'll start this off by saying that every hair regimen is going to be different. What works for me won't necessarily work for you....I may love how a product works with my hair, you may hate it. That being said, here's what I do:



I was my hair once a week with my sulfate-free shampoo. However, if I'm going to straighten my hair, I will use a shampoo that does contain sulfates. Why? Because I want my hair to be absolutely clean when I straighten it. Although sulfates are consider harsh because they strip away the hair's natural oils more than a sulfate-free shampoo, there are things you can do to counteract this. Therefore, I will often use a pre-poo mixture of oils on my hair the night before (castor oil and coconut oil are my favorite pre-poo ingredients right now). The sulfate-free shampoo I currently use is Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Hydrating-Clarifying  Shampoo. The other shampoo I use is Organix Coconut Milk Shampoo.



To prevent tangles, I wash my hair while it's plaited (usually six plaits). I usually don't have a problem distributing the shampoo throughout my hair, however, I recently purchased an applicator bottle to make sure I'm covering all bases.



After I shampoo my hair, I will proceed to use a moisturizing deep conditioner. Once a month I will use a protein conditioner, followed by my sulfate-free shampoo, and then followed by a moisturizing conditioner. Protein conditioners can be drying, so you want to be sure to continually add moisture back into your hair. When deep conditioning, I remove the braids to make sure the deep conditioner is evenly distributed throughout my hair. I then twist that section into a bantu knot and secure it with a butterfly clamp.



When I'm ready to wash out my DC that also means I'm ready to detangle my hair. Since I wash my hair in plaits and I keep my hair this way for the week, I usually don't have much, if any, tangling. However, it still is important for me to take down my plaits and remove any shed hairs. In order to detangle my hair, I GENEROUSLY apply a cheapie conditioner to my hair and use a wide tooth comb. Once the section is fully detangled, I twist that section back up into a bantu knot and secure with a butterfly clip. The cheapie conditioner I use is V05 Moisture Milk Conditioners. You can find this at any beauty supply store, but I buy mine from the Dollar Tree for $1/bottle.



So, now my hair is detangled and in six bantu knots. Section by section, I take the knot down, apply my leave-in conditioner, and seal that with a mixture of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (EVCO) and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). I then braid that section and proceed to the next. The leave-in conditioner I use is a mixture I got from kimmaytube. If you search youtube for "kimmaytube leave-in" you will see the recipe. For those wondering, the mixture is ph balanced.



For daily maintenance, I will co-wash if I feel my hair needs it throughout the week and I pay very close attention to my hair to make sure it doesn't lose its moisture. When needed, I will reapply my leave-in and seal with my EVOO/EVCO mixture.



 Okay, that's it for now. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to write them below. In my next post I will talk about protective styles versus low-manipulation styles. Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment